To be successful in working online from home, there is more you should do than just having a computer and strong Internet connection. Remember that this is unlike the traditional office environment. You need to make certain adjustments to your working style, schedule, and even attitude to ensure productivity and success. There are many working online guides that can help you perform well and here are 6 of them.
1. Have a definite work place. This can be a spare room in the house or a space in your bedroom. One thing you have to keep in mind is that your work place or home office, as what others like to call it, should allow you to function with little or no distractions. It should be well-lit and ventilated and spacious enough to accommodate your other office gadgets. Once you have identified your work place, inform your household members about it and request them not to interrupt whenever you are working there.
2. Determine your working hours. Though there are online jobs that require you to work during specified hours, some jobs allow you to work anytime of the day. Choose the time when you are most productive and be very disciplined. Just like in a corporate office, you are not supposed to leave your work when you feel like it. Keep in mind that you should maintain a professional attitude even without a prying boss or colleagues.
3. Set daily goals. Doing so can help you identify your priorities and allow you to manage your time. Write your goals in a journal and see if they are met at the end of your working day. Without outlining your daily goals, you seem to be shooting aimlessly and might achieve nothing in the end.
4. Get away from online distractions. There are many of them really — social networking sites, video streaming sites, downloading sites, among many other things. Not only can they slow down your computer, they can also waste much of your valuable time. Visualize this — watching a 30 minutes video is possibly the same amount of time you can type a one thousand-plus words article. And you don’t want that significant loss, would you? It’s not that you are not allowed to visit any of these sites; it’s just that you have to make good use of your working time and be as productive as you can be. Remember, there’s a proper time for play.
5. Take some breaks. The other reality of a work-from-home online job is that you might overwork. This is because the work are close at hand and it is easier for you to spend more time doing it than relaxing. Working too much is not the way to do it, as this can potentially burn you out. Rest when you need to (preferably a 10 to 15min break after every 2 hours so that you can rest your eyes if you are viewing the computer screen most of the time). Take your meal on time. Have coffee breaks. Take a day off, you are unwell.
6. Go out regularly. Since your job now only involves you, a computer, and a virtual community, you need to socialize and get connected with people. You can, for instance, have a movie date with your best friend or a slumber party with your former colleagues. Never spend a whole week locked in the house; find a way to spend at least a day somewhere.
While these guides can help you function well, much of your success in working online from home still depends on your perseverance, dedication, and patience.
# You are most welcome to add on other tips or advice in the comment area. Much appreciation for your time here!
480 total views, 2 views today
You can experience rejection for free or you can do it for money. Nobody likes rejection but it is a fact of life in just about every thing you do. In business, deal with it or stay poor. -- Jack M. Zufelt